The ’90s are back, for some reason, so we shouldn’t be surprised that the ’80s would come slinking back alongside them. Neon makeup is really happening. Again. Still.
This post contains affiliate links. Learn more.
To be clear, we’re not talking about the neon sign-inspired eye looks that were blowing up Instagram a couple of years ago. The current trend is bright neon colors, especially in eye makeup. They were on runways at the January couture shows. They popped up at New York Fashion Week. It’s really a thing. And you know what? I’m here for it. Here’s why:
- I love color trends because they’re accessible. Technique isn’t a requirement. You don’t have to be a pro with a brush to pull them off because you’re not going for a certain shape or line.
- Color is scalable. You can go big and bold or you can ease in. (More on that below.)
- I’m a sucker for a bright eye palette, and this is a good excuse to pull out the colors that look tempting in-store but don’t really get pulled out enough for everyday wear.
Tips For Wearable, Everyday Neon Makeup
- Go monochromatic. You don’t have to do a messy, tie-dye eye like Collina Strada or a bold cut crease like Anna Sui. Do one bright color on your lid and blend it so you have a really soft edge. You don’t have to be extra just because you’re using a wild color.
- Skip shadow and do a simple bright eyeliner. And I don’t mean a perfect cat eye — I’m talking about a simple line of color along your lash line. Low effort, nice pop of color, totally wearable. NYX’s Vivid Brights Liner is an affordable way to tiptoe into the neon trend.
- Try a colored mascara. Bright lashes can be a fun way to pull colors into your makeup look — again, with super minimal effort. Urban Decay’s dual-ended Double Team Special Effect Colored Mascara comes in five shades, each with a cream and metallic formula.
- Start with nail polish. On your toes, even, if you really want to start slow. See how you feel about walking around with that bright neon color all day. (I love a neon polish. So cheerful.)
Want to add some pops of color to your makeup collection? Scroll through my suggestions:
Cool make ups. Must try one of those ♥
I strive to be more bold in my makeup use. With 3 daughters, I am sure it will come! 🙂
My daughter is only five, but she has no fear of a bold look! 😂
So cool. I’m struggling with the basic every day face but when I get to your level, its on!
That’s what I love about color trends! All experience/commitment levels can give it a try.
I love to try different things, great ideas!
This is so fun! Once my daughter gets a little older I definitely want us to have fun with colors! I always wanted to try colored mascara. I feel like it looks so great on others but that it would look weird on me! Will have to give it a shot! I recently started using white eyeliner and that was my baby step! ha!
Truth be told… Colored mascara is totally out of my own comfort zone, so that might be one thing I push myself to try! You know, that white eyeliner as a base would really make a neon color pop… 😀
Such a fun idea! I am so used to neutral colors so I’m not sure I’d be able to pull off the bright colors but it sure would be fun to play around with! 🙂
I totally support experimentation! You might surprise yourself…
I always felt like eye shadow looked funny on me but maybe I will try….
It’s always fun to play! You never know what might look great on you until you try.
So pretty and bold! My niece would love this, I will have to share it with her.
I’m so happy that neons are in style . I usually go all out anyway regardless of season .